ATYP is excited to announce two amazing new scholarship opportunities for young Australians aged 18–26. Partnering with G’Day USA and the Australian Theatre Company (LA), recipients will have a years mentoring with ATYP in Sydney culminating in the opportunity to travel to Los Angeles, work on a project with the Australian Theatre Company and be profiled at the G’Day USA Gala in January 2017.
ATYP Ambassadors Rebel Wilson and Rose Byrne are both alumni of the theatre company and are generously supporting these two scholarship funds. Each of the scholarships has different selection criteria but both are centred around identifying, nurturing and promoting the next generation of theatre artists.
Rebel Wilson has donated $15,000 per year for the next three years to fund the 'Rebel Wilson Theatremaker Scholarship' to be awarded to an emerging artist interested in generating their own content. The recipient can be any combination of the following: actor / writer / producer.
"I received a similar scholarship from ATYP, Nicole Kidman and Lend Lease in 2004 which allowed me to travel to New York and develop my writing and performing skills. The opportunity was invaluable in turning me into the professional that I am today. I am so passionate about theatre - it's where I got my start and it's also a great platform for young artists to work in and develop their style, potentially using it as a stepping stone into other storytelling mediums such as film and television. Australia has so much young creative talent and I am so proud to now be in a position to help and give back. It's important these young people are encouraged and supported, just like I was when I was a student at ATYP. I can't wait to see who applies for this amazing opportunity!"
Rose Byrne has also donated $15,000 per year for the next three years to support an emerging female leader in the arts. This could be a director, writer, actor or producer. Her commitment to the support of women in film is widely known but this scholarship marks her commitment to women in theatre.
“I’m delighted to be able to offer this opportunity to young women passionate about a career in theatre. I know that ATYP will provide a nurturing and professional environment for an artist to learn and grow their art form. I look forward to following their progress and seeing the quality of work that is created. I’m delighted that ATYP continues to be at the forefront of mentoring the arts leaders of tomorrow.”
Applications are due 5pm January 25, 2016 and must include:
· Your theatrical CV. Maximum 2 pages
· A 1,000 word statement what you would gain from the opportunity, what you would look to work on while here and which ATYP shows in 2016 you’re most keen to work on and why
· 2 x letters of support
To be eligible for the Rose Byrne scholarship applicants must be:
· 18 – 26 years old women
· Emerging artists and/or artistic leaders
To be eligible for the Rebel Wilson scholarship applicants must be:
· 18 – 26 years old.
· Emerging theatre makers
In their 12 months with ATYP recipients will:
· Become a part of key creative discussions within the company
· Learn how a professional theatre company runs
· Have a dedicated desk and space to work
· Receive mentorship from relevant team members
· Have access to all of ATYP’s resources and rehearsal space
· Consult with the leadership team to set clear goals for their year
· Attend regular meetings to report on these goals
· Work on a set amount of ATYP productions across the year
· Receive $10,000 towards their artistic practice
· In January 2017, recipients will fly with QANTAS to Los Angeles to work on a project with the Australian Theatre Company and attend the G’day USA gala
· A short list of 5 will be created by ATYP’s Artistic Director, Resident Dramaturg, Learning Manager and Workshop Manager
· A secondary interview may be required
· Shortlists will then be sent to Rose Byrne and Rebel Wilson for final selection of the winner
The $15k donation is broken up as follows:
· $10,000 is paid directly to the recipient as installments across the year
· $5,000 is covers ATYP’s admin and development costs to support recipient’s chosen project
Applications for both scholarships are now open.
Applicants can apply for both scholarships, but require separate 1,000 word statements for each opportunity. Your CV and support letters can remain the same for both.
For more information and to apply please contact firstname.lastname@example.org