The National Studio is an invaluable mentoring opportunity connecting young adult writers with three of Australia’s leading playwrights. Over the course of a week, 20 emerging professionals aged 18-26 are brought to Arthur Boyd’s beautiful property, Bundanon, on the Shoalhaven river, Ilaroo. For the first eight years participants came together to develop their craft and in the process created a 7 minute monologue for 17 year old actors as part of ‘The Voices Project’.This year, continuing on from the success of the 2016 studio and the 2017 production Intersection, writers will work together to develop a united world, then individually they will create scenes and monologues within that world. A selection of these pieces will then be chosen to be a part of a showcase production which is presented at the start of 2018. More information on past years can be found HERE.
In 2017 the National Studio will be held from the 21st-26th August.
HOW TO APPLY:
We are currently seeking applications from playwrights in the country aged 18-26.
To apply, please email [email protected] the following information by 9am Monday the 12th June:
· Your name, date of birth, address, phone number and email address
· A CV (two page maximum) detailing writing experience, other experience in theatre, employment history and any study.
· A 300 word paragraph answering: Why do you want to come to the National Studio 2017?
· A four page scene between two characters aged 16-21 years old. If you have not written a scene before think about what your characters want, how they try and get it and what gets in their way. Think about a situation with high stakes.
· Will demonstrate a passion for playwriting and furthering their craft as playwrights
Will submit a scene with a strong and interesting approach to the specifications and demonstrate potential as a dramatist.
· Writers can be of any experience level from beginner to professional
· Must be aged 18-26 years old
· Can be based anywhere in Australia
· Applications are encouraged from writers based interstate
Thanks to support from the Graeme Wood Foundation the studio costs only $450 for successful participants, regardless of where in Australia you live. Full scholarships are also available in exceptional circumstances – contact Jenni Medway for details.
Participation in the Studio includes:
· Flights and transport to and from Bundanon (including interstate flights)
· All meals and accommodation for the week during the stay at Bundanon
· One week of mentorship, workshops and masterclasses with leading Australian playwrights and industry leaders
12th June- Applications due in by 9am on Monday
10th July- Applicants notified
21st-26th August National Studio 2017
For further information please contact us on 02 9270 2407 or [email protected]